News From the NREF: The Philanthropic Arm of AANS for Education and Research
Donating to the Neurosurgery Research & Education Foundation (NREF) is an affirmation of the work that neurosurgeons do, demonstrates a commitment to the future of the specialty and is a way to show alliance to an organization that funds the advancement of scientific research and education.
Through the generous support of our industry partners, the NREF is sponsoring four resident courses this fall, as well as additional resident courses, webinars and plans for two educational programs for practicing neurosurgeons next spring.
Current course topics include:
- Fellows course in endovascular techniques;
- Senior residents’ course on MIS and emerging spinal technologies;
- Endovascular and vascular techniques for residents;
- Skull base techniques for senior residents;
- Brain Mapping Course in collaboration with the AANS; and
- Neurocritical care for practicing neurosurgeons.
Visit the NREF website at www.nref.org for details.
Cushing Circle of Giving
Honoring Dr. Harvey William Cushing, a pioneer in brain surgery and the father of the specialty, the Cushing Circle of Giving is a lifetime giving society recognizing cumulative donations to NREF. Four years ago, this society for those pledging $25,000 or more, included 35 individual members and no institutional members. Today, the Cushing Circle has 120 individual members and 26 institutional members, with 34 members added in the last year alone.
Thank you to the following institutions who have committed to supporting the Cushing Circle of Giving:
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital Department of Neurosurgery
- California Association of Neurological Surgeons
- CNSA Partners
- Cleveland Clinic
- Columbia University Medical Center
- Henry Ford Hospital
- University of Pennsylvania Department of Neurosurgery
- Louisiana Neurosurgical Society
- Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Neurosurgery
- Mayfield Clinic
- Mayo Clinic-Department of Neurologic Surgery
- Mayo Clinic-Florida Department of Neurosurgery
- New England Neurosurgical Society
- Pennsylvania State University Department of Neurosurgery
- Pennsylvania Neurosurgical Society
- Rush University Medical Center Department of Neurosurgery
- Semmes-Murphey Clinic/University of Tennessee
- Southern Neurosurgical Society
- Tennessee State Neurological Society
- Toronto Western Hospital
- University of Utah Department of Neurosurgery
- The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center – Dept of Neurological Surgery
- University of Virginia Department of Neurosurgery
- UT Southwestern Department of Neurological Surgery Faculty
- Weill Cornell Neurological Surgery Department, Dr. Philip Stieg, Chairman
- Western Neurosurgical Society
We extend our sincere thanks to the newest members of the Cushing Circle of Giving:
- Ryan Ormond, MD
- Rocky Mountain Neurosurgical Society
Honor Your Mentor
In addition to opportunities for contributions to education, research and outcome studies, there are now 32 Honor Your Mentor (HYM) funds with pledges totaling over $3.675 million from 705 donors. The following HYM fund was recently established:
Kim J. Burchiel Fund
Click here for a comprehensive list of HYM fund honorees, the lists of donors for each fund, to make a donation or to learn how to create a new fund.
Post-residency Clinical Fellowship
The application for the 2018-19 Post-residency Clinical Fellowship (PRCF) is open and available through the NREF Online Grant Portal. The PRCF application deadline is Oct. 1, 2017. Awardees will be notified in March 2018.
NREF Research Fellowship Grant and Young Clinician Investigator Award
Applications for the NREF Research Fellowship Grant and Young Clinician Investigator Award opened on Sept. 1, 2017. The RG-YCI application deadline is Nov. 1, 2017. Award notifications will be made in February 2018.
Open to residents only, the NREF Research Fellowship Grant provides training for neurosurgeons who are preparing for academic careers as clinician investigators. Applicants must be physicians who have been accepted into or who are currently in approved residency training programs in neurological surgery in North America. This award requires a 100 percent research time commitment.
The NREF Young Clinician Investigator Award supports junior faculty who are pursuing careers as clinical investigators. Applicants must be neurosurgeons, no more than two years from having completed their neurosurgical residency training and/or clinical fellowship, who are full-time faculty in North American teaching institutions. This award requires a 50 research research time commitment.
Celebrate a Life
The Celebrate a Life program is an opportunity for neurosurgeons, patients and their families and friends to make a gift in support of neurosurgical education and research. Memorial and tribute donations make medical advances possible while allowing for donors to honor or memorialize someone special.
Recently, the community of Rocky River, Ohio, raised funds for a research grant in memory of Kate Carney, an eight-year-old girl, which will be matched with NREF funds for an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) research grant or possibly research on abnormal vessel wall pathology. Research proposals will be accepted via the NREF online research portal beginning in September 2017.
Contributions to NREF support education and research as well as the opportunity for us to collaborate and advance the diagnosis and treatment of neurological disorders and improve patient care in neurosurgery.
To make a gift to the NREF in your subspecialty or to honor your mentor, please visit our secure “Donate” page. Together, we are making a difference in patients’ lives.
2018 Advanced Endoscopic Skull Base and Pituitary Surgery
June 1-2, 2018; New York
2018 American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Biennial Meeting
June 2-5, 2018; Denver
Complex Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery of the Skull Base
June 7-9, 2018; Pittsburgh, PA
2018 Annual Meeting of the Michigan Association of Neurological Surgeons
June 8-10, 2018; Thompsonville, MI
CARS 2018 Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery
June 20-23, 2018; Berlin, Germany
Be the first to reply using the above form.